Latest topics
» Long climb to the top
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:04 pm by Vic Vegas

» APPLE NEWTON (189-111-14) vs SPLINTER (174-27-6)
Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:44 pm by Vic Vegas

» Vic Vegas Scorecard
Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:50 pm by Vic Vegas

» TAS(4) (Sliv) 124-108-9 Human - Warhammer
Sun May 28, 2017 10:55 pm by Vic Vegas

» HIROI (Dux Mortalitas) 120-45-4 Elf - Boar Spear
Sun May 28, 2017 10:53 pm by Vic Vegas

» SPLINTER (Dux Mortalitas) 174-27-6 Dwarf - Trident/Tower Shield
Sun May 28, 2017 11:28 am by Dux Mortalitas

» Krell'Dak 98-68-2 vs TAS
Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 pm by Vic Vegas

» FASCIST (153-77-5 ) vs HIROI
Sat May 27, 2017 10:09 pm by Palor

» NAG RAZOR vs HIROI monster fight
Sat May 27, 2017 6:10 pm by Dux Mortalitas

Poll

BPClient Upgrades

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BPClient Upgrades

Post  Vic Vegas on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:17 pm

I have been pondering a list of upgrades to the BPClient and thought it would be good to voice them publicly and seek further comment.  There are changes to gameplay that need to be addressed as well, but tinkering with game mechanics can have unpredictable consequences (e.g. Ball & Chain Halflings, Quarterstaff Halflings, Boar Spear Dwarves, etc.) and the game can quickly become imbalanced.  Upgrades to the Client program however, will not change gameplay and worry about game play and balance is nonexistent.  

So let's confine our conversation to the Client and leave gameplay issues for another thread.

---
The #1 item -I- would like to see, and I believe the easiest to implement, would be a Notes tab for each gladiator, so a manager conveniently and easily has access to thoughts, training ideas, strategies, etc.
---
A suggestion from Palor merits the #2 spot.  Have weapon/armor weights and throwability be incorporated into the client.  Either have the values in the drop down menu, or have a separate User's Guide tab when one clicks on their manager name (Account/Newsletters/New Team/User's Guide).  The complete text of the User's Agreement, perhaps with the account limitation highlighted, could also be displayed.
---
#3 would have the Client download the top killer, manager, winner, etc. lists with the option to not archive them.  The default will be to archive the lists.  I would also like to see the Arena Stats page fixed, and have this info download with each turn along with the top lists.
---
I would love to have #4 see the Stats/Strats tab synchronize with the Fights tab so when going back through a warrior's fights, one could see a snapshot of their stats/skills/perms/training attempts(?).  An entirely separate "snapshot" tab could be created for this if it would be easier to code.  This would be an invaluable tool for managerial research.  One may not be able to grandfather long lost gladiators into this function.  It may only work from the point it is implemented.
---
To save the best for last, I would have a checkbox so a manager can download his entire fight history and fill in any gaps that might have occurred due to computer crashes.  I'm fine with a limitation of one full download per year to prevent bandwidth abuse.
---

What do you guys think?  Some of these would be easier to implement than others, but any one of these changes would be welcomed with open arms!

vV

Last edited by Vic Vegas on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Re: BPClient Upgrades

Post  Dux Mortalitas on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:07 pm

These are all great ideas and would make the client much better!

Dux Mortalitas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:55 am

One more to add to the list.  Fix it so when Hide WLK is selected in preferences, a mug does not show if your warrior succeeds in becoming a monster.  Only when Hike WLK is not selected will the mug appear.

vV
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dux Mortalitas on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:43 am

How about having the client automatically highlight the challenge range of each warrior when you go to the challenge tab?
That would save a ton of time (no more need to calculate out a challenge just to make sure it is viable.

Dux Mortalitas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:33 pm

I was just thinking of something like this when hunting for UW challenges. Like Xavier's old Challenge Ranking Page. That thing was AWESOME.

vV
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  D-man on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:34 am

Here are a few ideas, not just with the client but also to the back end. Since we're dreaming, why not?

1 I've always thought it doesn't make any sense that you can't see fights other than your own. I mean, why can't I just get a ticket and go take a seat in the stands? How about being able to just choose a couple of warriors to watch. Nobody has time to watch every fight (we've got gladiators to manage, laundry, mowing the lawn etc.) but you should be able to do some scouting. Make it possible to scout, say, five warriors each turn. You'd get their fights to read (strats and trains would be hidden). Also, you should be able to see who is scouting your guys. It would be cool to have a line added to the fights like: "D-man looks on from the stands."

2. Retirement should mean something. Not much, but at least we should be able to see in the Client a list of all of the retired warriors. Back in the old Pitt forum days, I tried to keep up with all of the retirements with the "Shady Pines Rest Home" At least be able to have a place in the client to memorialize them. Just like a Shady Pines tab or something to click that produces a list with name, record, manager. Maybe you could get some minor perk when you retire a warrior, like an extra scout (see #1)

3. Fix team fighting. A simple fix would be make it optional to go into a team fight only if there is a match against real opponents. A check box "if scum is only matchup, go in singles instead."

4. Melee battles. This is already built into the game engine for the tournaments. Make it so you can enter into Royal Rumble melee free-for-all fights during the regular turn. With the same option to only fight in melee if there are enough real opponents.

D-man
Meat
Meat

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:28 pm

I love the scouting idea.  One scout per team, up to 5 per turn.  You are right, it would be great fun.  I think perhaps the scouting should work like challenges.  You can put in the name of a gladiator whose fight you want to see, but you don't always get to see that fight.  Maybe it was sold out?  Your scout grabbed a tankard of ale and JUST missed the fight, or what not.  Perhaps your scout only caught the last minute and a half of the fight? Otherwise, you will get random scout reports.  Add up the PREs of all five gladiators on a team and divide by 5 and that is the scout's pre.  If you wanted to really get deep with the scouts, they could also train in scoutly things. Why not have the scout's stats listed on the team page.    Or you can add a "scout" option alongside monster and team fight, and you can have a warrior run off and view another fight.  That warrior will not train, however.

The idea of retirees adding to the scouts is interesting.  I think that would require a level of balancing to ensure old managers don't have a bjillion scouts running around.  Ah, how about a maximum of 10 scouts.  2 per team.  In order to get the second scout, you must retire a warrior from that team.  Thus, after a warrior has been retired from each team, you get 10 scouting reports per turn.  With, let's say, 3 "attempts" at scouting challenges, with the rest being random?  I agree that scout reports should have training and strat info stripped, but I think they should also have trigger lines stripped, to keep it more scout-like and distant.

Perhaps gladiators that receive many scouting requests will get a slight uptick in their popularity rating?

I like the team fight fix as well.  As the team fights run after the singles fights, there would have to be a team-fight matchup check before the singles fights ran, but that would be easy to implement (I do believe).  I would have the anti-peasant option selected by default, to keep things interesting for newbs, who may not explore all the options at first.

I'm not sure how one would score the melee battles.  A lot of risk for...? 20 warriors go in, 1 comes out with a win, and 19 with a loss? How would that work?  I'm intrigued.

vV
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dux Mortalitas on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:10 pm

Regarding retirement, personally, I think it is unfitting for a warrior of the bloodpit to ever retire. The only way to leave the game is death.

I love the idea of scouting, and I really like the idea of having certain warriors do the scouting (ie you select a warrior to scout just as you would send him to the monsters). BUT a warrior that was challenged or BCed would have to fight, so a scout would not automatically be able to do scout duties, and whatsmore, it would be cool of the scout's pre was compared to the pre of the warrior that he was attempting to scout against. If the scout won the pre roll, he would successfully scout, but if he failed, he would be thrown into random singles fights. If he did scout however, he would not get any trains as Vic suggested. Regarding the number of warriors being allowed to scout on a team, I don't think there should be any limit. A manager should be allowed to have all of their warriors scout if they want. Seeing as there is the inherent disadvantage of not actually fighting and not getting trains, why not? Also, strats, trains and trigger lines in fights are not visible to scouts, as was suggested. Of course, you can imagine that I do not want retired warriors to be allowed to scout because I don't even want to allow warriors to retire at all, but furthermore, I think there is no disadvantage to having retired warriors scout, which is an imbalance. There should always be an advantage and a disadvantage to everything in BP IMO. That is what makes this game interesting to me at least!

While, I do not think that being scouted should affect popularity ranking, I do think that there should be a new ranking added that shows the top 25 scouted warriors per turn and maybe even another ranking to show the top 25 most scouted warriors overall (not per turn but in the warrior's entire lifespan).

D-Man's idea of for the teamfight fix is something that I have long wanted to see (I made this suggestion in the distant past when talking things over in private conversations with alliance members, etc. This would make team fighting actually a valuable part of the game!

Regarding the melee battles, I would suggest that if they were for example 10 warrior fights, that the last 5 warriors standing were the winners and the fight automatically stops at that point. This way there would always be a 1:1 ratio of winners to losers.

Dux Mortalitas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  D-man on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:53 am

Point taken about the retirement thing. I understand your view, Dux. I was just suggesting a change to make retirement actually do something. I've rarely ever retired anybody, because it's really kind of pointless. Skip a monster fight for one less loss on the manager record, I guess, but that's about it. But the Keeper put it into the game and it's just kind of there now, so I I've always thought it should do something more. Or less, maybe just get rid of it like Dux says. On the other hand, Roman gladiators were ( albeit rarely) able to earn their freedom so I think it's okay to explore possibilities to make retirement a useful function of the game.

But I do agree that accumulated perks (like retired warriors who can do stuff for you) could ruin the game. If it wasn't balanced it would make it even harder for newbs to get started, so that's something to be very careful with. It's not good to have things in a game that you can earn by simply playing for a long time.

D-man
Meat
Meat

Back to top Go down

Post  D-man on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 am

How about this? Again, just brainstorming. You get a 6th "Retired/Reserve" team of 5 empty slots that can only be filled with retirees. That team cannot fight, they are retired. But you have the option to bring those guys out of retirement as replacements instead of using your rollup.

D-man
Meat
Meat

Back to top Go down

Post  D-man on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34 am

On the scouting idea: I like where this is going. I hadn't actually thought of it as having my active warriors going to watch somebody else's fights. I was thinking that the manager himself/herself was the one sitting in the stands. But what you guys are saying is kinda cool.

Was chatting with Ilneval about this stuff and we talked about another idea. You should be able to see exactly who challenged you and who avoided you. It doesn't make any sense that challenging and avoiding is secret.

D-man
Meat
Meat

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Maybe you can send a scout to read the challenge/avoid reports. Very Happy

vV
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dux Mortalitas on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:23 pm

D-man wrote:Was chatting with Ilneval about this stuff and we talked about another idea. You should be able to see exactly who challenged you and who avoided you. It doesn't make any sense that challenging and avoiding is secret.

The not knowing who is challenging and avoiding is one of the things that makes the game interesting to me. For example, during Dethroner, I really notice the excitement of not knowing and trying to figure out who I should be avoiding and who I should be challenging. It is also true that not knowing who was trying to challenge me is a good thing as it keeps me guessing.

Dux Mortalitas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:03 pm

I agree with you Dux, about the challenges/avoids.  

It certainly was a nice thought experiment, figuring out a fair, workable model of spying. Your gladiator doesn't get a train, but you know who was challenging/avoiding you.

Duelmasters, when they went to an automated newsletter report (at the top of the newsletter), would sometimes report when someone was avoiding a gladiator, often in an attempt at shaming or pointing out the cowardice of such an act.  Heheheheh  It was sad, but necessary, when they switched from custom written reports for each turn to an automated system.  I recall reading with shock when the switchover was announced in the last human written report (summary? I forget what they officially called that section of the newsletter).

vV
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Blood Cries

Post  Vic Vegas on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:46 pm

How about variables in the blood cry.  Such as <HELM> for your opponent's helm, and <ARMOR> for your opponent's armor or <RACE> for your opponent's race.  A great example would be for one of my recent blood cries:

FORTUNE COOKIE: THERE'S ONLY A BUCKET BETWEEN YOUR FACE AND A PICK AXE.

It would be cool if it could be constructed thusly:
FORTUNE COOKIE: THERE'S ONLY A <HELM> BETWEEN YOUR FACE AND A PICK AXE.

so if your opponent was wearing a camail, in the fight it would read:

FORTUNE COOKIE: THERE'S ONLY A CAMAIL BETWEEN YOUR FACE AND A PICK AXE.

vV
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:04 pm

Here's another simple one.  List the skill(s) your warrior trained that turn in italics.

Has novice skill (1) in Dodge
Has novice skill (1) in Parry
Has novice skill (1) in Initiative

Then the manger quickly knows what skill was trained that turn.  Same for stats.   A trained stat would italic, and stand out from the rest.

vV
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:15 pm

On the Challenge tab, in the Ranking tab, it would be nice if your gladiators showed up in the rankings, but ghosted out, as they are in the Arena tab.
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:51 pm

I often find myself wishing I could run the BPClient on my smartphone, but that is a pipedream.  So, why not have a web interface (in addition to the current BPClient) for the game?  If you make changes in the client on your computer and don't upload them, then they won't show when you log in to the web interface.  Also, depending on what server storage looks like, perhaps only the last three fights will be available for each gladiator (which is why the current BPClient with its local storage is the preferred method of interfacing with the game).  Still, though.  If you are out and about or would like a mobile solution for turn handling, this would do the trick.  Put your phone in a waterproof case and you can be in a swimming pool while reading your turn. cheers

vV
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

BPClient icons

Post  Vic Vegas on Sat May 06, 2017 4:22 pm

I was just looking at the graphic icons in the BPClient and it got me thinking... See how each gladiator's name has an icon of a little dude with a sword and shield next it?  What if each race had its own icon?  Talk about a quick visual guide to knowing what race a gladiator was.

Human could be the current icon.  Make the skin green and you've got a helf.  Make it beefier, drop the sword & shield, sub a flail and you've got a horc.  Make it short w a viking helmet for a dwarf, short with a teensy weapon for a halfling, Elf could be an icon similar to the current one, except dual wielding blades.
Vic Vegas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top