PITT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Poll

What do you think is the best overall race in Bloodpit?

Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Vote_rcap 31% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 13

Latest topics
» AI Music Abuse
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptyToday at 12:31 pm by Vic Vegas

» DUX'S HALL OF RECORDS
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptySun May 05, 2024 8:33 pm by Vic Vegas

» UW XXIII is over!!
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptySun May 05, 2024 7:45 pm by Modofo

» Blood Pit Memes
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:07 pm by Vic Vegas

» Where oh where has Ilneval been???
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 5:31 pm by Vic Vegas

» UW XXIII Week 11 Results
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 10:45 am by Klagrok

» ODYSSEUS Monster fight
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 pm by sliv

» UW XXIII Week 10 Results
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 pm by Vic Vegas

» Good Luck ODYSSEUS!
Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 3:33 pm by Klagrok

Gameplay Upgrades

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Empty Re: Gameplay Upgrades

Post  Dux Mortalitas Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:51 am

Yup! That'd do it.
Now all we need to do is get BP into your hands, Vic and it's all glitter and gold Very Happy

Dux Mortalitas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Well, one can dream! Very Happy

vV
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas
Pit God
Pit God

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:55 am

Throw

Theoretically, anything can be thrown, not just the list of throwable weapons.  I recall Dux's attempts at making a perpetual thrower.  This should be a viable fighting style, not just a trick used at the beginning or ending of each fight.  I think the best way to implement this would be to assign a throw bonus to all the currently throwable weapons, and a throw penalty for others.  Sure, your thrower picked up a ball and chain but he very well may hit himself with it (or both gladiators!) when he pitches it.  More than likely he will miss, but if he wants to toss a B&C he's more than welcome.  While working up the inertia to throw such a beast, he will be open to attack from his opponent.

I see a greatstaff tumbling end over end, eventually jumping over the head of the thrower's opponent.

I see a thrower spinning 'round and 'round, building up momentum to pitch a maul.  A sweep from his opponent at this moment would cause extra fall damage.

The larger the weapon, the greater the chance of our thrower hero's opponent stealing the initiative.  Perhaps what would normally be an attack line, would become preparation for the throw, such as the above spinning, or winding up, or pulling way back, or what have you.  Chucking a long spear takes a lot more than a boar spear or javelin!

There's nothing preventing a spin then toss of a halberd to have the effect of the pole smacking the thrower in the side of the head after it has been released.  Spin spin whack!

I recall mention in the old pit of a thrower picking up rocks and tossing them at his opponent.  We can bring back the rocks!

Many detailed thoughts of how different classes of weapons would move from thrower to opponent have sprung to mind, in addition to the different types of preparation necessary for the throw, but I think this is enough info to get brains buzzing.

What do you guys think?

vV
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas
Pit God
Pit God

Back to top Go down

Post  Dux Mortalitas Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:31 am

Yes, I agree. Bring back throwing rocks.

Dux Mortalitas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Gameplay Upgrades - Page 2 Empty Gameplay upgrades

Post  Cam_ Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Guys this chat is making me misty eyed Sad  as to how beautifully evolved my beloved Pitt could become!

Sigh, oh well I will get my guys to put an edge on some Target Sheilds just in case. I would love to see a Horc brute throwing one like a Frisbee!
Cam_
Cam_
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Frisbee shield throwing?!?! I love it!

The buckler might finally become useful!

vV
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas
Pit God
Pit God

Back to top Go down

Post  Dux Mortalitas Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 am

The interesting thing about beefing up the throw style is that it would be a real trump-card to CS and Parry or any very low activity levels. In real life shields (to a great degree) and other weapons (to a lesser degree) could be used to knock thrown weapons down, but that would really ruin the throw style. Dodge intensive styles should do very well against Throw.

Dux Mortalitas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:15 pm

I think if the expanded throw style were incorporated into the game, it wouldn't have the same auto hit or miss mechanics that it enjoys now.  I see no reason why a shield couldn't block a thrown weapon, especially if it is one without a throw bonus.  It should be harder to parry a thrown stiletto than a thrown war flail.  I suppose if one were to really get detailed, a thrown flail could still flail around a parry attempt!  So maybe I should have said a thrown stiletto should be harder to parry than a thrown morningstar.  Yeah, morningstar.  Those would still be fun to throw!

Of course, there's the potential problem of your warrior being too weak to pick up, let alone throw whatever weapon they mind find on the ground.  It may be risky to have a low str warrior employ throw.  Imagine your 5 str hafling trying to pick up and throw a halberd!  That could certainly add color to the game.  I would like to see the occasional backfire when throw is being employed.

I think there should be a sharp drop-off of efficaciousness of weapons thrown once you get past most of the current crop of thrown weapons.  A thrower would presumably start with three weapons he's trained/training in.  And those three weapons would have throw bonuses.  Once those ships have sailed, so to speak, and your gladiator is left at the mercy of whatever is lying around (throwing the ref's lunch might get you killed!) his ability to dish damage will be diminished, unless he's smart enough to pick up the right weapons.  

Then there's the issue of some thrown weapons working better against certain types of armor. An advanced thrower might start with three different weapons he's mastered. Carrying a boar spear, hammer and stiletto, maybe. I'd have him start with the stiletto, and get off a quick hit! Or maybe, it would be better to throw the boar spear first and be less encumbered for the next two throws? Oh, the possibilities... the game mechanics could favor nuanced throw managing.

Hmmm... I'm imaginging a 17-17-12-15-3-7 elf thrower.  Or maybe a 17-17-12-17-3-5 helf.  If you wanna go crazy, then 17-17-14-17-3-3 helf thrower.  Wow.  He's got the str to pick up anything, the speed to throw quickly and accurately, and the int to pick up better weapons.  Sounds like a fun type of gladiator to run!

vV
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas
Pit God
Pit God

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Hmmm... so what if presence was also a good stat for training something different than skill or stats?  What if you could put a perm location in a training slot and the higher your pre, the better the chance of you reducing a perm by 1-3 points.  Think of it as your gladiator visiting a different medicus each week he trains that perm area.  One of 'em might have a way to heal your guy a little.

My first thought was not to tie this to pre, but to just make it a slim (1 in a thousand?) chance of happening but still give it as an option.  Is your guy training in a perm slot while those around him are hitting the gym and learning how to perfect their murderous lunges? <queue dramatic music>

I see this being used for old fart gladiators who are all skilled up and already have crazy high stat trains... and maybe a pesky pop point. Heheheheh.

vV
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas
Pit God
Pit God

Back to top Go down

Post  Dux Mortalitas Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:47 am

I actually like that idea, Vic. Healing perms with Pre. It would at least give some value to pre. I think that it would only heal 1 perm level if the training attempt was successful. The lower the perm level the easier it is to heal it. A level 8 perm would be like training a stat up from 7 to 8 or something like that. If you warrior had a low pre, it would take forever!

Dux Mortalitas
Pitt Lord
Pitt Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:12 am

Oh yeah, nice suggestions Dux. I like the just move it by 1 point but it being difficult like high level stat raises. This would be a good idea to get implemented ASAP. Razz

vV
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas
Pit God
Pit God

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:45 pm

How about having Team Monster fights? Say you want to send two gladiators (do they have to be from the same team? What do you guys think?) to the monsters at the same time, in a team. Then the game picks two random monsters and pairs them together against your gladiators. This could be fun! What would happen if one of the monsters dies, but the other kills both of your gladiators? Would it end when you had one left and the arena master would then make him an offer?

vV
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas
Pit God
Pit God

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic Vegas Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Even something relatively simple like the random number seed algorithm used by the game, could have an effect on training, fights, challenges, etc. Some random number generators are more random than others, but those tend to take longer to run, which would lead to longer times for the turn to run. Instead of the now 15 minutes (with the new webhost) it takes for the turn to run, imagine if it took 2 hours due to replacing maybe a dozen lines of code.

Coming up with as random a number as possible, can be accomplished in many ways, some of which have been discovered since BP was created. I don't think boar spear dwarves will go away from changing such an algorithm, but it might have an interesting impact on challenges and trains.

If you have too much time on your hands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorandom_number_generator

vV

Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas
Pit God
Pit God

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next